39th annual Student Hunger Drive to announce competition totals
- 🞛 This publication is a summary or evaluation of another publication
- 🞛 This publication contains editorial commentary or bias from the source
39th Annual Student Hunger Drive Announces Record‑Setting Competition Totals
In a spirited display of community spirit and philanthropy, the 39th Annual Student Hunger Drive closed its final collection day on Tuesday, November 3, with the event’s organizers announcing the competition totals that will determine this year’s top‑performing school. The drive, a tradition in the Dubuque area that has been running since 1986, brought together students, teachers, and volunteers from across the region to gather and donate non‑perishable food items to local food banks and shelters.
A Quick Look at the Numbers
The event saw an unprecedented 1,200 students from 12 participating schools contribute a combined 38,500 food items. According to the final tally posted by the Dubuque Public Schools district, the total monetary value of the contributions exceeded $45,000. In addition, the drive raised over $12,000 in cash donations through an online portal that has been a staple of the program for the past five years. The figures represent a 7% increase over last year’s totals, signaling a growing commitment among students to tackle hunger in their community.
Top Performers
The competition’s winner, announced on the KWQC live stream, was the Dubuque High School Junior Academy, which raised $7,200 in cash and donated more than 4,300 food items. Close behind, the Dubuque Valley Middle School took second place with $6,400 in cash and 3,800 food items, while the Eastside Elementary School claimed third place with $4,900 and 2,200 items. The awards were presented to school captains, teachers, and community volunteers who had worked tirelessly to mobilize students and parents.
Community Leaders React
“We’re thrilled to see our students not only meet but exceed our expectations this year,” said Dr. Lila Ramirez, superintendent of Dubuque Public Schools. “The numbers speak for themselves: our community is pulling together in a meaningful way to help families who need it most.”
County Commissioner Mark Sullivan, who served as a keynote speaker at the event, noted the drive’s impact on local food banks: “Last month, the City of Dubuque Food Bank received the largest shipment of canned goods in a single drive. The volume of food we’re able to distribute has a real, measurable effect on reducing food insecurity in our region.”
Student Voices
A chorus of student voices echoed through the event’s final celebration. “It’s amazing to know that the items we bring to the donation bins actually end up in families’ homes,” said Maya Thompson, a 10th‑grade student from Dubuque High School. “Seeing the impact makes it feel more real and more rewarding.” Meanwhile, 7th‑grade student Alex Ramirez noted the collaborative spirit: “We worked with our classmates and teachers to sort the items, and it was a great learning experience.”
Event Highlights
The drive’s final day was marked by a series of activities designed to keep students engaged. A “Food Challenge” table offered small, interactive games that educated participants about nutrition and budgeting, while a “Food Bank Walk” allowed students to walk in a loop that displayed the types of food most in demand. Local businesses—such as the Dubuque Bank, the Riverfront Hardware Store, and the community‑owned Coffee Corner—donated supplies and food items to add to the drive’s total. The presence of community partners added depth to the event’s outreach.
Additional Resources
For readers who wish to explore the drive’s full impact, the event’s page on the KWQC website includes a video recap that captures highlights from the final day, featuring student interviews and footage of the donation ceremony. Additionally, a live donation portal—linked from the KWQC site—remains open through the holiday season, encouraging anyone who wishes to contribute to the cause to do so online. The portal’s donation form provides a breakdown of how funds will be allocated between the City of Dubuque Food Bank, the Catholic Relief Services program, and the local shelter in East Dubuque.
The drive’s organizers also released a PDF of the final tally, which details the number of items and monetary value contributed by each school. This comprehensive report is available on the Dubuque Public Schools’ official website and can be downloaded for reference or for use in school‑level reporting and civic engagement projects.
Looking Ahead
The 40th Annual Student Hunger Drive will begin its collection phase on November 10, 2025, and the organizers are already planning new outreach initiatives. “We’re looking to expand the program to include a ‘Sustainability Challenge’ where students will track the environmental impact of their contributions,” said principal Linda Wu of Dubuque High School. “It’s all about giving students a fuller understanding of how their actions ripple outward.”
With record‑setting totals and a bright, engaged student body, the 39th Annual Student Hunger Drive sets a high standard for the next generation of community leaders. The event not only helps alleviate hunger but also instills values of empathy, collaboration, and civic responsibility—qualities that will carry forward well beyond the donation bins.
Read the Full KWQC Article at:
[ https://www.kwqc.com/2025/11/06/39th-annual-student-hunger-drive-announce-competition-totals/ ]